High Performance Big Block Cadillacs
October 01, 2014, 09:13:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Road Race/Autocross/Pro Touring oil pan mods for 472/500  (Read 2407 times)
CadVetteStang
Eldorado Autocross Racer
C2

"BattleCar Cadillactica" at home in the pylons

« on: September 23, 2009, 09:03:56 AM »

Road Race Autocross Pro Touring oil pan mods for 500

I found a professional road race oil pan builder who has a Caddy motor in his shop and who can handle the mods necessary to turn your stock big block Caddy pan into a road racing pan with trap doors and even extra capacity; for everything involved in the modifications, his prices are not that bad either.

If your application involves hard cornering your going to experience oil starvation when the lateral acceleration forces cause the oil to slide up the side of the pan. When racing my 70 Eldorado, I had to keep a close watch on the oil pressure gage and back off of the throttle or unwind the steering wheel when I saw the needle begin to fall. Adding an extra quart helped some, but even in the stock Eldo with the deep rear sump pan, I could slosh the oil away from the pickup going around the pylons or also make the needle drop from 35 PSI to zero when taking an off ramp and circling back under the interstate bridge while pushing the car to its traction limits.

With intentions to swap this engine into a sports car capable of breaking 1 G  lateral acceleration, part of my search was to find a road racing oil pan (or someone who could design a serious oil baffle and trap door system to take the guess work out of a DIY job in that area). Still, my goal was to save money by using a stationary pickup tube.

In my search, I found Armondo Rodriguez
Here is a quote from his web site:

“I'm Armando Rodriguez. I have 30 years of professional experience. I've been making racing oil pans since 1977. I was the oil pan welder for Blum's Racing Enterprises from 1980-1990. Then I went to work for ten years at AVIAID, a leading racing oil pan and oil pump manufacturer. In 2001, I started my own company, AR Oil Pans. I can make oil pans for Circle Track, Road Race, Drag, Marine, Street driving and Show Cars -- you name it! Small and big block Chevy, small and big block Ford, imports, engines with turbos and superchargers -- any car that has an oil pan, I can make a custom pan for you! I can also build you a dry sump system -- the ultimate in racing engine lubrication.”

When I asked him about making a pan for a Cadillac 500, his response was he could and that he had one of those engines in his shop already. I told him that if he kept his price low enough, I’d pass the word on to the rest of the Cadillac community; this was his estimate:

Armando, “I think that I  can put trap doors modify the pickup and a make a windage tray for a stock pan for $200.00. With increased capacity, trap doors and windage tray it would be about $380.00.”

This is his website: if you use him for your Cadillac (or any other application) and you discovered him by reading this post, then please let him know that Cody G. Carson sent you.
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/flats/1624/

At this time, I have not yet used his services, but I do plan to send him one of my oil pans for modification. If you have used him in the past, or if you send a pan to him because of this thread, please post pics of his work and give feedback. Also, if you know of anyone else who offers a custom oil pan for the bid Cad (cornering – not drag racing) then please post that info in this thread also.

Cody G. Carson
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 09:37:45 AM by CadVetteStang » Logged

“Battlecar Cadillactica” 70 Eldo that raced SCCA autocross in 1985 & 1986

“The Cadinator” 82 Eldo w/ TBI injected 472 and autocross handling pkg.

“CadVetteStang” 72 Fastback Mustang w/ Caddy 500; awaiting a cage & C4 Vette front suspension when the guy storing it- sold it w/o permission
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 12:15:55 PM »

Very interesting. Thanks Cody.

By any chance did you discuss the various Cadillac sump arrangements, like the Eldo vs. the more forward sump pans?

If you did discuss the Eldo pan in particular. By any chance did you talk about the axle shaft clearance hump in the pan & the possibility of removing it?

Do you know if he could flat out provide a complete pan from scratch & what that might cost?

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
CadVetteStang
Eldorado Autocross Racer
C2

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 03:51:06 AM »

Very interesting. Thanks Cody.

By any chance did you discuss the various Cadillac sump arrangements, like the Eldo vs. the more forward sump pans?

If you did discuss the Eldo pan in particular. By any chance did you talk about the axle shaft clearance hump in the pan & the possibility of removing it?

Do you know if he could flat out provide a complete pan from scratch & what that might cost?
I did not discuss various sump locations assuming that if I supplied a pan and pickup tube, he could use the block in his shop as reference and go from there. His web page also mentions the ability to build a dry sump system.

I did not ask about building a pan from scratch because that would have been way above my budget; the Caddy pans are of heavy enough gage metal that I think starting with a stock pan would be a lot cheaper even if you just used the mounting flange and the upper two or three inches. 

He answered each of my emails (but not all of them on the same day that they were sent).  Feel free to contact him, ask your questions and post the answers.

Cody

“CadVetteStang” 72 Fastback Mustang w/ Caddy 500; awaiting a cage & C4 Vette front suspension when the guy storing it- sold it w/o permission
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 02:30:01 PM »

...He answered each of my emails (but not all of them on the same day that they were sent).  Feel free to contact him, ask your questions and post the answers.

Cody 

I might do that at a later time. Thanks for doing the leg work on this & posting it up.

CadVetteStang
Eldorado Autocross Racer
C2

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 03:22:54 AM »

...He answered each of my emails (but not all of them on the same day that they were sent).  Feel free to contact him, ask your questions and post the answers.

Cody 

Thanks for doing the leg work on this & posting it up.

You are welcome, my friend.

I also found out from another forum that Armando built the oil pan for Maddog's Caddy 500 powered air boat in 1994 and that the Big Cad engine block he has in his shop was used in making it. Maddog is very pleased with the oil pan.

Cody

~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 10:41:41 AM »

I thought that name sounded familiar & I was thinking that it was linked to the pan on a certain Cadillac powered air-boat.

MTS Marty
C4

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 10:44:07 AM »

Although Charles may have sent Armando an engine in 94 the one in his shop now belongs to MTS. We shipped it to Texas when he moved
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:49:53 AM »

...the one in his shop now belongs to MTS. We shipped it to Texas when he moved 

Grin  Huh?  Wink  Cool
Well now... That sounds like one hell of an endorsement!  Hey Marty, Any chance that we could have a sneak preview?

dave brode
C5

Best of 11.66, 113.96, 1.59 sixty

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 03:32:13 PM »

I would love to see what he would do for windage control.

Dave

3960 lb '71 C-10. 11.7-1 CR 514". PEP I beam rods floating MTS 18cc dish Probes, Elgin solid cam, home ported heads, MTS 2.19/1.84", Potter/Probe shaft rockers, edel 2115, 4781 850. Switch-pitch TH400, 12" 1800/3200 Tri-Shield convertor, 4.30 gears. Best so far of 11.66, 114.8 mph and 1.59 sixty
CadVetteStang
Eldorado Autocross Racer
C2

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 09:09:30 AM »

visit his site and give him a call or an email; I told him I'd send him some business. Maybe he has pictures of the pan he built for Maddog's air boat that he could send our way.

dave brode
C5

Best of 11.66, 113.96, 1.59 sixty

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 01:31:20 PM »

Cody,

I'm a cheap sob, and a tin banger / welder. I would not pay someone for pan work, but being shameless, I could copy work that I like LOL.

I looked. No windage control pics.

Thanks.
Dave

3960 lb '71 C-10. 11.7-1 CR 514". PEP I beam rods floating MTS 18cc dish Probes, Elgin solid cam, home ported heads, MTS 2.19/1.84", Potter/Probe shaft rockers, edel 2115, 4781 850. Switch-pitch TH400, 12" 1800/3200 Tri-Shield convertor, 4.30 gears. Best so far of 11.66, 114.8 mph and 1.59 sixty
CadVetteStang
Eldorado Autocross Racer
C2

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 08:47:40 AM »

Cody, I'm a cheap sob......... I could copy work that I like LOL.
Dave

Sounds like we may be related – lol!
When I had my 70 and had no idea what trap doors could do for road racing oil sling, I did have a basic idea for a pan:

About 20 years ago, I was going to cut a “frame” shape (like a picture a frame) out of thin metal with another shape in that frame that looked kind of like a leaning number “6” joined to the top of the frame. The frame wall width was going to be about 2” and the “6” was going to be about 1.5” wide. The hole in the “6” was going to be big enough that the pick up tube would fit through it and the top part of the “6” would be the notch in the frame where the pickup tube runs close to the wall of the pan.  I was going to cut two of these “frames with a 6”. The fit would be tight enough on width that the outer walls of the frame would touch the inside of the pan sump, but it was going to be about ½” too long so that it would have to curve down in the middle to fit completely. The frame would look something like this: [6]

After bending the metal to fit the pan in a curve that matched the contour of the shallow pan area, a windage screen was going to be pop riveted in between the two frame layers like a sandwich. After riveting the screen in, the mesh inside the “6” would be cut away. Then it was going to be welded into the pan at a depth equal to that of the shallow area. At install, the pickup and tube would fit closely through the leaning “6” shape. The 2” wide frame would act as cornering baffles for oil sling control – not only at cornering, but under heavy acceleration and braking as well.

*** I never got far enough on the restoration of my 70 to make this pan mod and 1” a cornering baffle frame was installed in my Mustang pan (but with no windage screen) by the man who modified my pan for the install. If I can’t afford an Armondo pan for next project, I’ll work more on my “6 frame” windage & baffle design and post pictures of what I build. (Actual width of frame and “6” may vary in the final design if I feel there is not enough screen area to allow oil to get to the bottom of the pan fast enough, and also drain holes in the frame area are an option.)

This was my “poor boy” racing pan design. As crude as it may seem, anything would be helpful in a “G-ride” as long as it allowed oil to get back into the bottom. I hated coming off the throttle and yanking the wheel when the gauge needle went south.

Cody G. Carson
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 09:08:36 AM by CadVetteStang » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: