High Performance Big Block Cadillacs
November 22, 2017, 01:12:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Cad 500 in A body  (Read 52818 times)
steelybill
C3

« on: February 19, 2010, 06:34:02 PM »

Hi folks.
    New guy here.  No category for Cad engines in GM A bodies, so here I am in the G body hangout !!  My project is a '75 El Camino, with (eventually) a 500 which originally was in a '76 Deville I owned.  Just finished building a TH400 for it.  Hope to bolt the engine and trans in the frame soon (body off)
  Regards to all.....

Mike P
C2

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 07:09:44 PM »

Hey Bill good to see you over here.  Looking forward to some pictures.
steelybill
C3

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:06:19 PM »

Hi Mike. Nice thread you have here on the swap. Pictures say a lot!!

BILL

SRB
C2

Yep, its a oil road.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 06:56:37 AM »

Mike, Billy

My 472 is getting closer to done as well.  Head port work is waiting on me. I'm waiting for results from Mike and Mike swaps before I tear my 22 year companion (1984 SS Elky) apart.   Good stuff!!

Steve
steelybill
C3

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 03:48:27 AM »

Hi SRB
  Sounds like you are gonna have fun just like Mike, Mike P, and me Grin   Now that my TH400 is rebuilt, I can get the engine and transmission bolted in the frame.  I have an engine swap mount kit that I bought from the Flashcraft outfit a few years ago.  The rocker arm set-up I have came from Potter Automotive a few years ago, and has Comp Cams 1.7 ratio roller rocker arms, the stud mounted type like a Chevy.  If I had to do it over I think I would use the shaft mounted types that are available now.  I have the intake ported and gasket matched, and the plenum opened up. Also have the over-sized valves in 120 CC heads, and KB pistons with 9.6 CR. Did a lot of work on the heads also, like port matching,blending and polish etc.  I built a rear sump pan, using the pan rail from the old pan, to fit behind the front cross member. It's made to be flush with the bottom of the cross member, so that it's not down below where it can get damaged.  Haven't put oil in it yet to check capacity, but it's deep enough that windage shouldn't be a problem without a windage tray.  Cam is a 274/282 duration with about .520/.530 lift with the rockers I have on it.  I'm gonna use the orignal Q-jet carb, which I rebuilt, with some small mods.
  I made a 1" spacer for the carb from a chunk of 1" thick micarta phenolic material.  Could have bought one cheaper I think !!
  I have an MSD module and Accel coil in the stock HEI distributor, so hopefully it will be sparky Grin

Sure would be nice to light this thing off this coming summer, and see how it runs. Grin

SRB
C2

Yep, its a oil road.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 05:12:41 AM »

Bill

Let us know what you do about the third member.  The stock Elky unit needs help and the 12 bolts are overpriced IMO.  I'm also thinking my A/C box is going to cause problems.    Sound like your about the same stage as I am, getting the motor ready, gathering parts and knowledge.  I'm anxious to see how Mike&Mike projects drive out.  Grin

Steve
steelybill
C3

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 05:47:07 PM »

Steve
  I have a Currie 9" Ford rear.  The 10-bolt seemed like it would be on borrowed time if it was leaned on very much.
I have a bunch of pics on Photobucket, but don't know how to post them here.  Photobucket pics album is listed as steelybill.  I'm not too bright about using the PC !!  It's El Camino restoration on photobucket. don't know if that helps...........

Mike P
C2

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 04:14:10 AM »

Just looked thru your album Bill, nice work especially on the pan and intake.

What gear are you going to be running in the 9"?

Hope you don't mind I'm posting a link to your album to make it easier to find.

http://s561.photobucket.com/home/steelybill

I've been taking a break from mine the last couple of weeks to get some other things done, but maybe I can get back to it this weekend.
steelybill
C3

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 06:46:02 PM »

Hi Mike
  My rear ratio is 2.50;1, the lowest they had.  When my '77 had the 400 engine in it, I had a 2.56 rear in it, and it no problem smoking the tires, and barking the tires when it shifted.  So I went with the 2.50, since I can replace the third member easily enough for a different ratio.

Thanks for putting the album up here fore me.

I don't remember if my engine had an air pump on it or not, but it looks like the belt arrangement will be OK without it, though the pulleys may be different.......

steelybill
C3

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 09:47:23 PM »

I recently noticed that the fuel pump for my Caddy has a return line fitting. Looks like I'll have to run another line back to the tank.  I also just checked the new sending unit (El Camino) for the tank, and I see it also has a return line pipe.  Someone said that the AC cars had a return line.  Don't know why it should be different than a non-AC car (?)

Mike P
C2

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 04:58:47 AM »

Hi Bill, as you probably already know the primary purpose of the fuel return system is to keep the fuel constantly moving to prevent it from picking up to much heat on its way to the engine and causing vapor lock problems.  You may not necessarily need the system where you are at but with the ethanol blend fuel and high under hood temperatures itís not a bad add on.  In my case I run my cars at interstate speed with the AC on at 4500 feet on 100+ degree days and a fuel return system.  That combined with only being able to purchase 10% ethanol blend fuel makes running the return system mandatory in my case.

In your case the earlier pumps don't the return line if you would like to delete it (or you could always just cap the fitting on the existing pump). 

I don't have a 4th generation around to look at but if you're sending unit only has 2 hose fittings, I suspect the second fitting is for the tank vent not a return line (at least that is the way it is on my 3rd and 5th generations).  I'm not sure when GM went to the charcoal canister but I suspect that yours was originally equipped with one. If so the vent line should run from the tank to the canister located under the hood.  In a pinch this line could be used as a fuel return, but you need to check to make sure there is not a check valve in the hose fitting on the sender that would prevent the fuel from entering the tank.  Then you would have to figure out how the vent the tank, usually either a vented cap or a vent line added to the sender or tank. 
steelybill
C3

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 06:50:52 PM »

Hi Mike
  We have the mandated 10% ethanol here in Michigan also.  I think that since my frame is out in the open yet, that I'll just run a new quarter inch line back there.  The sender does have three nipples.  My pump is the stock one that was not too old.  Not sure how good it will be for keeping up with a modded engine.  Maybe a heavier spring on the throttle linkage? Grin

steelybill
C3

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 11:00:27 PM »

I was reading the threads here about G body frame reinforcements. I'm wondering how the A body frame is gonna hold up with the torque of a big Caddy engine.(?)  If I needed to add some beef to the frame, this is the time to do it, with the body off.

Mike P
C2

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 05:25:15 PM »

Bill.  I'm not to sure on the 4th generation El Caminos, but I suspect the frame is a lot closer to being like the 3rd generation frames than the 5th gen.

I've seen one cracked and repaired 69 Chevelle frame and had to replace the entire frame on a 70 Chevelle due to 3 major cracks/breaks .  Both cars were Big Block stick cars that had seen a lot of drag racing. 

In both cases the problem area was where the front crossmember was welded to the frame rails and and the upper control arms attach.  There is not really a lot that can be done to reinforce in those areas, but it's definately a place to keep an eye on.

Usually it will initially show uip as a popping noise or the alignment goes away and offset upper shafts become required to bring the alignment back.

That being said, both of the cars I mentioned had a LOT of time on the drag strip and launches on slicks.  I would think you will probably do fine running an automatic and reasonable tires.
steelybill
C3

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »

Thanks Mike.  My frame seems robust etc. Haven't looked at a 5th gen frame for comparison.  It's gonna be a daily driver, with tires for year around use. ( the kind that are easy to smoke!!) Wide tires don't work good in snow Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: