High Performance Big Block Cadillacs
November 20, 2017, 10:05:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Cad 500 in A body  (Read 52783 times)
steelybill
C3

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 05:05:15 PM »

I was looking at the picture of the Caddy thermostat in the Swap Section of this forum, which is of course different the the other cars. The flange on the bottom of it (on mine) doesn't go down in the well far enough to close off the by-pass opening.  Don't understand if it supposed to completely close it off, or just restrict it a bit (??) Different year ?   Or maybe it doesn't close it until it's up to temp (duh!) ?

ST Dog
C4

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 04:18:56 AM »

Or maybe it doesn't close it until it's up to temp (duh!) ?

Correct.

It's not an uncommon design. My understanding is it was used on several engines over the years, just not the SBC.

Grab the STANT catalogs and look at how many are that style.
http://www.stant.com/index.cfm?location_id=3753

http://www.stant.com/catalogs/filedisplay.cfm?file=Stant_Vintage_Alpha.pdf&thisPath=stant\catalogs
http://www.stant.com/catalogs/filedisplay.cfm?file=Stant_Caps_Stats_Alpha.pdf&thisPath=stant\catalogs

dave brode
C5

Best of 11.66, 113.96, 1.59 sixty

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 07:04:57 PM »

fwiw;

The design was to speed the warming of the engine. This customer's new luxury car blew heat sooner than the chevy or other lesser car owned by "others". This resulted in a happy customer.

Unless I was running a caddy powered vehicle in extremely cold temps, I would just plug the bypass hole and run a chevy 'stat.

Dave

3960 lb '71 C-10. 11.7-1 CR 514". PEP I beam rods floating MTS 18cc dish Probes, Elgin solid cam, home ported heads, MTS 2.19/1.84", Potter/Probe shaft rockers, edel 2115, 4781 850. Switch-pitch TH400, 12" 1800/3200 Tri-Shield convertor, 4.30 gears. Best so far of 11.66, 114.8 mph and 1.59 sixty
steelybill
C3

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 08:32:49 PM »

Thanks guys.
  Dave, it gets cold as hell here!! Smiley

dave brode
C5

Best of 11.66, 113.96, 1.59 sixty

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 08:15:27 PM »

Thanks guys.
  Dave, it gets cold as hell here!! Smiley

If you run the car in the cold [and salt  Shocked], I would use the caddy thermostat.

Dave

3960 lb '71 C-10. 11.7-1 CR 514". PEP I beam rods floating MTS 18cc dish Probes, Elgin solid cam, home ported heads, MTS 2.19/1.84", Potter/Probe shaft rockers, edel 2115, 4781 850. Switch-pitch TH400, 12" 1800/3200 Tri-Shield convertor, 4.30 gears. Best so far of 11.66, 114.8 mph and 1.59 sixty
steelybill
C3

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 08:31:12 PM »

I'll just keep it stock, and I already have an elbow made for the rear of the right side head for the heater hose.  I gotta plumb the water valve in that hose before the heater inlet when I get that far.  This engine came from a car I owned, so I know my buns will be warm in winter Smiley Smiley

steelybill
C3

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »

The engine and TH400 have been bolted in for a couple of weeks, and yesterday (Saturday) I put the body back on the frame.  Some clearance issues to deal with, but not too serious I think, like the left rocker cover being close to the brake booster, and maybe the AC housing needing some alterations.

sMiles
C4

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 06:26:01 AM »

Would a Hydroboost give you the clearence you need ?
steelybill
C3

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 08:14:01 PM »

I don't think I want to go that far with it. That runs off of the steering pump, doesn't it?  A 9" booster would work. On the other hand, loosening the booster from the firewall to get the cover off isn't a big problem either.
  Today I tried the AC evap box in place on the firewall, and the right rocker cover will come off OK, because it's just the rear corner that's close.  Now, to get the wiring sorted out...... Smiley

steelybill
C3

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 11:28:51 PM »

Haven't really decided on headers or mainfolds, but when trying to mount the R/H manifold, the stud from the front upper  A frame mount, (the one with the adjusting shims behind it) was too far inboard to get it on. That would be about the same with a header there. I cut a bit off of the stud, like 3/8", the get clearance.  Would have to watch that when the alignment gets done.  Headers would be the way to go, but winter up here (it's gonna be a daily driver) is not kind to pipes.  Haven't seen or heard of a 4th gen ('73-'77) A body with a Caddy in it yet, but there must be some around....
 There's a link to my photobucket album pics in my profile signature if interested.

~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »

...Haven't really decided on headers or mainfolds...
  ---<snip>---
...Headers would be the way to go, but winter up here (it's gonna be a daily driver) is not kind to pipes....

Has anyone heard of, or are familiar with, Log Headers?

I have just recently learned of them & I'm very intrigued. It sounds like the best of both worlds (Headers vs. Manifolds) can be had with very little drawback.

It would make for a great new topic.

Thanks
~JM~

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
Mike P
C2

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 10:34:45 AM »

JM Iím not real sure what youíre calling log headersÖÖ.something like this? 

Just my own personal opinion here, but over the years I have pretty much gotten away from headers wherever possible. I got tired of the periodic flange and collector gasket replacement and like Bill has mentioned unless coated the rust issues associated with them.  

That being said, with the solid copper flange gaskets and ball and socket collector joints gaskets are not the issue they used to be.  Also Iíve had pretty good luck sandblasting the new (or used) headers and using 3 or 4 coats of quality high heat (header) paint, curing it with a torch in between coats, but then again Iím in a pretty low rain/humidity area.

I remember many years ago reading an article which dyno tested headers vs cast manifolds on relatively stock engines and in many cases the improvement wasnít really all that much and in the majority of cases not noticeable until the upper RPM range.  There were a few exceptions as I recall mostly on the Ford big and small blocks which had some pretty horrible designs in the 60s.

I know the big inch Caddys move a lot of air, but I really wonder how noticeable the difference would be between headers and stock manifolds (especially if the outlets were opened to 2 1/2") when connected to a full street exhaust on a relatively stock engine turning no more than 5000 RPM.
steelybill
C3

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 09:05:01 PM »

I'm still on the fence about manifolds or headers, but it does look like the manifolds will clear everything OK.  The Sanderson headers may work on mine,  and seem similar to the stock manifolds, but then again I really don't need the hassles Smiley  We'll see !

~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 10:34:08 AM »

JM Iím not real sure what youíre calling log headersÖÖ.something like this? 

From what I understood... Very much like that, but 12" to 14" or so, primary tubes. Plus the primary tubes need to extend to a minimum of 1/2 the I.D. of the Log, before they terminate. I cannot recall if the termination was supposed to be a perfect 90 degree cut or a 45 degree angle cut.

We should start another thread so we don't risk hi-jacking this one.

~JM~

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
sMiles
C4

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 01:48:02 PM »

That is a nice log style manifold, Mike P.   Is that your design and handiwork?

~JM~, as you know I have been photo posting challenged for some time now.  I have a ton of them I have taken during the long process of engine removal, chassis mods, engine build, testing and development work, and now reinstallation, including the exhaust system.

I am using a log style system since the length requirement of a custom tuned system would not fit, and shelf headers were far to restrictive and power costly when run through StanJ's analysis program.

When Stan and I looked at a log design I did a few years ago it was promising compared to the shelf stuff.
We then played with the flanges available, pipe dia, primary lengths, and log diameters.  All this data was added to my engine program specs, as the engine was after the last dyno pulls, and the best of the log dimension combinations was easily seen.  The log header build was begun.

I am using Potters v3 (version 3) flange for the second generation aluminum head.  A 2.125" dia stub is attached to the flange to which a 2.25" dia primary 12" long is fitted.  The primary goes into a 3.5" log (.083 wall) and ends .075" inside the log.  The end of the primary is terminated parallel to the center line of the log.  

Pre-bent mandrel sections of 3.5" were worked into an extension of the Manifold log on each side and extended back under and through the X frame of the car. I am attempting a rectangular section fabricated cross over pipe of equal area to the log tube.  This is kicking my ass to fab up right now.  After this 3.5" extension is a cone with 4.5* of taper reducing 3.5 to 2.5 over a length of 12.5" .  Then into a 2.5" Magnaflow XL 6" round 3 chamber muffler.

I will return from a trip to DC on the 15th and get with you John to figure out the Gallery/ picture posting thing and put some  pictures up of the above.

A log manifold thread would be interesting .

Miles

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: