High Performance Big Block Cadillacs
November 20, 2017, 10:00:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1970 500 caddy moter in 73 nova ss info any will help  (Read 3278 times)
cadnova
C1

« on: March 03, 2010, 04:57:35 PM »

looking for info onoutting a 500 caddy moter in my 73 nova ss and this is a 4 speed car can i get a manual trans to bolt up and what will i need thanks
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 09:52:35 AM »

Hey CadNova,

Welcome to the board. The Nova/Cadillac swap has been done before. Unfortunately I cannot help you with specific details of the swap, but I believe that it is fairly straight forward as far as swaps go. You might want to try to contact this board member to see if he can provide some details. http://caddy500.com/index.php?action=profile;u=34

Manual tranny's behind the Cadillac engine have also been done. It ends up being fairly expensive by the time you buy the trick flywheel, clutch & bell-housing. The tail end of the crankshaft needs to be drilled to accept a carrier bearing & the input shaft of the trans. Then you need to locate a tranny that has the torque handling capabilities to survive.

The bell-housing mounting pattern to the Cadillac engine is commonly referred to as the "BOP Pattern". It stands for Buick, Olds & Pontiac, as they share the same bolt pattern. I suppose it should be refereed to as BOP&C.

Good luck on your swap & please keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks
~JM~
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:57:03 AM by ~JM~ » Logged

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
cadnova
C1

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 09:35:46 PM »

hi thanks for thE reply well automatic will have to do Grin i had a 70 coupedeville 666 in serial number called her christine back 25 yrs ago when friends had camaros mustang gto chevelles etc no SUBSTITUTE FOR TORQUE OR POWER THAN A 472/500 I PUT DUEL EXHAUST AND ADVANCED CURVE KIT SPRINGS IN THE DIST AND IT RAN LIKE A WILD DOG!!! THESE GUYS COULDN,T BELEIEVE HOW THAT HOOD WENT FOR THE SKY Tongue Tongue I HAD PROBLEMS WITH MOTER MOUNTS BREAKING AND EVEN THE TRANS MOUNT BROKE 2 OF THE 3 STUDS OFF THE TORQUE CONVERTER UNREAL  I EVENTUALLY PUT  LOG CHAIN ON THE ENGINE AS EXTRA SECURITY WELLL WHEN IT NEEDED REFRESHED I PUT A 425 OLD SUPER ROCKET IN THE CADDY EVERYONE SAID I COULDN,T DO IT AT HOME ETC MADE MY OWN MTR MOUNTS AND IT RAN ALMOST AS GOOD AS THE CADDY ENGINE WELL I REALLY ENJOY BIG BLOCKS AND I KNOW THIS NOVA WILL BE FUN!!! I HAVE BIG BLOCK MOPARS AND BIG BLOCK 460 429 514 FORDS BUT CADDYS ROCK  Wink Wink Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: