High Performance Big Block Cadillacs
November 20, 2017, 10:06:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: sump too long  (Read 4973 times)
steelybill
C3

« on: June 24, 2010, 07:20:01 PM »

Today I lowered the engine and trans into my chassis, and found that my measurements didn't allow enough clearance on the front of the lower section of my sump.   In order to keep the sump from being up tight against the cross member, I'm gonna have to do surgery on it and move the front of it back about 3/4 or 1 inch to clear the cross member. Don't know what the oil capacity is right now, but it will be less when I'm done with the modification on it.  The sump is one I built, using the original pan rail and fabricating from there.

I guess it's all part of engine swaps Smiley   I have a universal engine mount kit to adapt to the cross member from the stock mounts on the engine.  Noticed that the mounts are more forward on the Caddy engine, which will need the plates from the kit to bolt it in.
  Isn't this fun!! Smiley

Mike P
C2

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 05:55:16 AM »

I pulled up a picture of your pan Bill, with the design at least it doesnít look like it should be too bad of a job.  Looking at the picture Iím betting after the mod youíll still be between 5 and 6 quarts.

Which motor mount kit are you using and do you have any pictures (I do a fair amount of motor swaps and am always interested in seeing what is out there). Just a thought for what itís worth, once you get the engine tentatively set in the frame you might want to set the core support in and figure what your clearance for radiator, fan etc is going to be before you bolt things down for the final time. 
steelybill
C3

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 08:55:12 PM »

Hi Mike
   I just finished welding the pan back together, with the bottom being an inch shorter on the front of the lower section.   My calculations show just over 5 qts capacity, which should be OK.  Gotta leak check it tomorrow.  Setting the core support on there is a good idea, thanks.
   My mount kit from CadCo a few yeas ago, is a pair of new OEM type mounts, and two pieces of 1/2" steel plate, which are used to extend aft from the mounts to the cross frame.  Hopefully this week I can get the engine in to where it should mount.  Hopefully I can bolt these plates to the cross member.   I'll get some pics of them.

steelybill
C3

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 01:23:27 PM »

I've been busy today.  I have the engine mount adapters drilled and fitted to the front cross member, to bolt the engine in permanently. Just waiting for the paint to dry on the adapters.  Maybe this evening I'll get it bolted together.  The adapters are from CadCo, which I''ve had for a few years.
  I also arc welded the gussets I made, into the rear control arm brackets to beef them up.  Have to adjust the upper control arms to get the pinion angle as close as possible before setting the body back on the frame.
  It appears that the exhaust manifolds or headers clearance to the top of the front susp. A arms and their supports will be "interesting". Huh? Smiley

steelybill
C3

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 08:39:48 PM »

The pan issue is back.  The front of the sump was too far aft to get the dipstick to go all the way in, so I modified it again!
This is such fun!! Smiley

~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 09:46:01 AM »

...This is such fun!! Smiley

That's the Spirit!  Wink  Hang in there...  I see much tire smoke in your near future.  Grin  Cool

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
steelybill
C3

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 04:44:39 PM »

I have the pan modified again slightly, and everything fits.   I have another center-sump pan from a '76 DeVille, which I plan to modify later to a better design, with the rear of the sump moved back about 1 1/2 inches to have a bigger capacity than 5 Qts.

steelybill
C3

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 07:22:35 AM »

Last evening, about 10 pm I got the pan bolted back on (too dam hot in that building in daytime) and everything seems OK now.  Now it's onward to bolt the body back on the frame Smiley

steelybill
C3

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 06:25:11 PM »

Not much progress on getting the body back on.  Gotta figure out which mounts go where. I have the service manual, with a picture/drawing, which shows them, sorta........

Meanwhile, back home in my yard barn, I'm working on the driver side door, re-bushing the hinges, stripping the paint off etc. Removed all the mechanisms from the door, cleaned them up, and put a light coat of clear lacquer on them to keep the rust at bay.  A few little ding to fix etc.

The pan fits good, but I can see where I could build a better one, now that I see how it lays in over the cross member etc.  Not gonna happen real soon though.

Have a new windshield to install too, as well as getting the back window back in.  I'm not without something to work on........

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: