High Performance Big Block Cadillacs
November 20, 2017, 10:01:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello everyone, here's my Cad powered ride  (Read 4114 times)
Monster Rat
C1

« on: October 14, 2010, 07:21:07 AM »

How's everyone doing?  I thought I had joined this site a year ago and asked a bunch of cam questions, but I can't find my old posts, and the user name I would have used didn't exist, so I must be confused.  Oh well that happens.....alot.  I was building a '70 472 for my truck, and got into some costs with the heads that put the project on hold.  A customer of mine ( I run a 4x4 repair shop) offered me a 75 500.  He gave it to me because he liked the truck and wanted the engine to be used instead of sitting on his shop floor.  So in it went, and I finally got all the paperwork back from the state for my VIN so I could insure and plate it.  The 500 doesn't disappoint!  It will go right through the 40" Swampers even with the 4:10's.  It is a fun truck to drive, the best part being the Caddy powerplant.  Thanks for all your info on cam and valve train stuff.  I haven't touched the inside of this engine, but the 472 will benefit from all the info.

Here's a short video of the truck going up Casper Mtn.  The Caddy pulls hard up those inclines, makes the trip up a lot more fun.  At about 50sec turn it up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlbX1HnZx8c
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »

Hey Monster Rat,

Great looking Truck!!!! Cool Please feel free to tell us more about the build & post up some pics.

Thank you
~JM~

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
Monster Rat
C1

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 08:15:41 AM »

The frame started life as a '87 Jeep YJ.  I choose this frame because it is fully boxed, the cab fit it perfectly, and it is basically Z'd to begin with.

I chopped the top 4.5" and did so in a way that left the rear window a bit bigger than the mail slot style you see so often on these cabs.  I also did not section the roof, I sloped the "A" pillar.

I used a old Jeep grille I had laying around which fit the lines of the cab pretty well.

I had a 1970 472 that was going to be the powerplant.  I began to run into issues with the heads that was keeping me from finishing the build.  A customer of mine left me a message saying he had some Caddy parts and wanted me to call him.  When I called he said he had a 500.  When asked what he wanted for it, he said he wanted me to have it because he liked the direction the truck was headed.  I am very grateful.

I built the entire interior from scratch including the steering column and wheel.  An ammo can serves as the glove box.  The seat foam is Ford Ranger.

The suspension is all hand built as well.  It is 4-link front and rear, and sits on airbags.  The tires are 40's in the rear and 33's up front.  I did the roll-out and found the 4.10's in the Sterling rr axle went good with 3.31's out of a Wagoneer D44.

It is a blast to drive.  And even in stock form with a hasty tune, it will light the 40's up at every stop light.

Thanks for your interest!

( Just realized I repeated myself about the engine....LOL)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:21:18 AM by Monster Rat » Logged
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:24:11 AM »

That Rig is Bitchin' as hell!!! Shocked Cool

Thank you for the pics & details.
~JM~

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
Pages: [1]
  Print