High Performance Big Block Cadillacs
November 20, 2017, 10:12:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Guy, new toy...  (Read 4835 times)
twincam_04
C1

« on: December 30, 2010, 02:43:41 AM »

1948 Chevy with a 472...
brand new purchase, plenty of work to do, found the forum, seems like a great place to get info/advice on Caddy builds/specs

engine's out of a '68 with less than 70K orig. miles

i'm hoping not to have to do much to it for now, just want to get truck road worthy- i have a month of welding left to do

wanted to say hello from Georgia
http://s744.photobucket.com/albums/xx84/AlwaysSumthin/48%20chevy/
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 11:20:16 AM »

Hey Twincam,

Welcome to the board. Nice looking '48!

~JM~

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
sMiles
C4

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »

Hey TwinCam,
                     Welcome to the forum, and, to the wierd world of Cadillac fanatics. 

After taking a stroll through the albums inside your link,  you should feel right at home.  The Perry event is one I would like to know more about .. if you have a link to it I would appreciate your sending to me or posting up here.

I am in Georgia also, south of Atlanta down I-85.  If I can be of any help just holler ...

Miles
mt83
C3

I build go fast toys.

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 07:58:05 PM »

Welcome to the board.  I hope that you can get some good information and any help you may need with your build.  The big Cadillac engine is something else.  I see you are not afraid of some fab work.  What part of GA are you in?  You may be close enough to come check out the shop sometime.  Good luck with your build and enjoy the Cadillac world.

Sincerely,
     Matt @ Cadillac Performance Parts

Matt @ Cadillac Performance Parts
www.cadillacperformanceparts.com
twincam_04
C1

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 03:56:12 PM »

Thanks for the welcome everyone

I'm in Macon, the truck pics were in the shop of the guy i purchased it from.. I do have a covered area to work on/store truck , but it's not so fancy  LOL

link to the Perry show-  http://www.perryswapmeet.com/  ( they need more car pics ! )
sMiles
C4

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 05:55:55 PM »

Thanks for the Perry event link .
twincam_04
C1

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 12:00:01 AM »

Thanks for the Perry event link .

You're welcome, i  also changed my album names - you should be able to find more Perry pics in my albums if you'd like to check them out
twincam_04
C1

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 09:46:53 PM »

OK, well today's really the first chance since i bought the truck to actually do any hands on

i bought it a few weeks ago, got a good deal on it from a guy who said he needed Christmas money

soooo, i knew going in that I wasn't buying something i could drive after a couple of weekends tinkering

no steering box,column not set, no wiring done other than being able to crank the engine with a "hotwire" , new booster/master cylinder combo isn't in either, no brake lines run, 1 door with stripped out hinges, needs a correct length drive shaft... the list goes on

today i was out looking, making a mental list of things i'll have to do, and i started looking at the engine location...

got one small thing to adjust before any of the other work can be done.. move the cab back as far as i possibly can  Shocked
i don't know if he thought it wouldn't be a problem, or dropped the engine in after he did the cab, but there's no clearance between the firewall and the valve covers

the best part about it is that the cab is bolted to the frame, and not welded to it like the bed is..

i'm in a rental house that was empty for 4 years before i moved in a couple months back

the fun begins asap - oh did i fail to mention i have to run power a couple hundred feet to the small shop i'll be using?
first things first - ran to the depot and got PVC conduit so i can bury the new wire to shop so it doesn't get "recycled" again by someone that just "happens" to see it running between the house and the shop, like it did sometime before i moved in

get that done this week because i can't imagine trying to cut the bed off with a hacksaw
once the body's off i can see if there are any more fun surprises waiting for me

i'll update this post as i can, and hopefully i can add pics to go along with it
sMiles
C4

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 02:38:39 PM »

Yeah, now the fun starts ..

Will you run the zoomie exhaust ?

Taurus or Windstar electric fans and shrouds might fit the radiator and move enough air to simultaneously cool the engine and maintain climate control for the interior .

twincam_04
C1

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 01:45:36 AM »

Yeah, now the fun starts ..

Will you run the zoomie exhaust ?

Taurus or Windstar electric fans and shrouds might fit the radiator and move enough air to simultaneously cool the engine and maintain climate control for the interior .

i'm afraid the Ga officers won't be too happy with those custom zoomies around here, neither will my neighbors when i come home between 2 - 4am from work every night

The electric fan and shroud are a great idea

So far, my thoughts on climate control consist of - hey no windows , so keep it moving in the summer - aww man  no windows ! bundle up in winter  Cheesy 
I will be putting in a windshield ( eventually )

i was going through posts last night and found one related to a hot rod article and where the former owner may have gotten the idea for the radiator grille
http://caddy500.com/index.php?topic=752.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: