High Performance Big Block Cadillacs
November 21, 2017, 10:18:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Phillips Head Screws...  (Read 1841 times)
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« on: November 01, 2013, 10:28:07 AM »

I had always heard that Phillips head screws were developed for the Aeronautic industry, but I ran across this little piece of information earlier today.

The Phillips is an American design created and patented by Henry Phillips in 1936. It went onto the production floor first at the Cadillac factory in 1940. One of the attributes that Cadillac engineers liked about the design is that the driver would "cam-out" after a certain torque was reached and not allow over-tightening of the screw. The design offered other advantages like self-centering and the tool, screw engagement was quick, with never more than 90 degrees of rotation needed before the tool started working.

Looks like Cadillac has another first.

~JM~

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
Nick Campagna
C3

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 03:46:15 AM »

Interesting side note:
The Reed and Prince screw almost looks the same. The R / P screwdriver uses a sharper angle on the tip and comes to a point, where the Phillips screwdriver has a flat nose, and a shallower angle. The reason many Phillips head screws are stripped on the head is because someone used a R / P driver to torque them. The point prevents full depth engagement, and the sharper angle comes out of the head too easily messing up the head and the R / P driver.

Is the defect in what I see, or in what I'm seeing with ?
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 07:32:57 AM »

I have never liked the Phillips style of screws until I started installing speakers & then later as power tools became more available. Always use a Phillips style when you can't afford to have the screw driver slip out & possibly poke a hole or scratch something expensive. Embarrassed Cry

If you own a Japanese motorcycle, look into buying a set of J.I.S. (Japanese Industrial Standard) screw drivers. That's why the Phillips screw drivers don't fit the screw heads on a Japanese motorcycle properly & usually strip out the head on the really tight screws. Angry

~JM~

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: