High Performance Big Block Cadillacs
November 22, 2017, 01:05:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Maddog Airboat  (Read 14004 times)
Maddog
« on: November 27, 2007, 06:35:20 PM »

Greetings all. I am an avid airboater and a 34 year user of Cadillac engines. I have used them as direct drive, and every gear ratio available from 2.09 to 2.68, with wood and carbon fiber propellers. My current ride is a 534 ci roller cammed aluminum headed cadillac with manley rods and JE pistons. Feel free to ask away on airboat or watercraft issues.

Maddog
bondsman
C1

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 08:29:04 PM »

i think this a great addition to a cadillac forum since there are manny of us caddy power airboats or watercraft.

by the way i run a 15ft rivermaster  514c.i.d
.060 over
probe /scat combo
mts #15 grind cam
76cc heads 2.19(i)   1.90(e) p&p and unshrouded
crank/pistons lightend and rebalanced
2.38 gearbox swinging a sensenich 2blade ultrawide.
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 08:37:47 PM »

Bondsman,

Welcome. I hope you like it here. I've often thought this was a much needed category... Now it is!
Please help spread the word.

Do you have any pics of your boat?

I think you Airboaters are the most hardcore stress testers of the Cadillac engine. I hope to someday get out that way & go for a ride on one.

Thanks
~JM~

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
fatboy0054
C2

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 08:01:10 PM »

GENTELMEN  ! 14 FT FREEDOMCRAFT 506  CADDY 268 GEARBOX THREE BLADE SUPERWIDE  ! GLAD TO BE HERE AND THANKS JM ! YOUR RITE JM IF WE DONT BREAK IT! NOBODY ESLE WILL !
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:05:58 PM by fatboy0054 » Logged
bondsman
C1

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 10:33:31 AM »

so you went to a shorter freedomcraft,i was wondering why you had your haul for sale.you gonna be there at the mqrquis run fatboy.
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 12:15:06 PM »

Welcome aboard fatboy0054,

I'm really looking forward to this section of the board taking off.

Back when I was a youngster there was a B&W TV show that featured an airboat flying through the swamp & across the reeds. Can't really remember much else of the show. Just the boat.

I thought they were awesome back then & I still do.

Thanks for stopping by.
~JM~

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
caddycarlo
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 04:12:34 PM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Aa-1Tszx6M
Maddog
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 05:40:18 PM »

Thats my boy J Dotson. Lives up in Okeechobee....one bad boat. The axial stresses from those spins is unreal. Its why I dont do them unless my movement forward depends on them. But still way cool......

maddog
fatboy0054
C2

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »

JM , THAT SHOW WAS LINCLON VALE OF THE EVERGLADES  ! BONDSMAN I HOPE SO BUT DONT KNOW YET, WORK IS SLOW HERE UNTIL THE FIRST OF THE YEAR !I AM GOING TO TRY !
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:42:37 PM by fatboy0054 » Logged
lil maddog
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 04:41:17 AM »

Went to start the Maddog this am at oh dark thirty and it turned over one quarter revolution and went BANG and stopped. Could move the propeller backward but not forward. I think its dropped a valve as was recently discussed so I pull it back home and pull the valvecovers.....and everything is perfect?Huh? So I pull the plugs looking for a smashed electrode from a broken ring land....and all I find is 3 cylinders full to the brim with gasoline. So I reconstruct my morning and realize that when I went to fire the boat, I turned the fuel pump on and it went to 4 psi, slightly lower than the 5 I usually run. I thought the pump was going bad, made a mental note to get a rebuild kit form Mallory, and then had to park the truck  a looong way from the ramp. The whole time the fuel pump was running. Obviously a stuck float---right? Not so fast. I rotate and pull the gasoline out of the cylinders, dry everything so there isnt a fire, and then snatch the 5 year old Holley HP850 off. The jets for both have had there rubber o-ring shrink and are letting fuel around the jets, and into the engine. It may have been stuck open too, but wasnt when I pulled the float bowls off. The carb was immaculate, in large part due to the SEPAR filter. Had a top notch Holley HP rebuild kit on the shelf, and two hours later all was well. Many guys run their fuel pump to the ignition switch, but I have had some bad experience with that, so mine is switched separately. I will be more careful, and also try and go through my carbs more than once every five years.

Maddog
caddycarlo
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 08:24:56 AM »

I have hydro locked a comple of engines in my time ....... it makes a very ugly sound and stops dead in 0 time ..... it is a scary moment becouse from the sound and the locked up engine you think the whole inside is trashed ..... I have heard storys of bent rods from hydro lock but have never seen it or do I beleve that the starter spins fast enough to do that ....... and my engines always ran fine afterward ... on the fuel pump I have seen guys run the holley switch on the oil pressure to run the pump ( when you have pressure you have power ) and a momentery switch on the dash to prefuel or pressure check the system ........
POTTER
C3

Superior Quality 472 & 500 Performance Parts!

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 06:57:45 AM »

Welcome aboard fatboy0054,

I'm really looking forward to this section of the board taking off.

Back when I was a youngster there was a B&W TV show that featured an airboat flying through the swamp & across the reeds. Can't really remember much else of the show. Just the boat.

I thought they were awesome back then & I still do.

Thanks for stopping by.
~JM~

May have been gentle ben , about a black bear. That's the one I remember.

Not Only Do We Offer A Complete Performance Parts Line But Also Have A Crate Engine Program Too!
POTTER
C3

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 06:59:10 AM »

I have hydro locked a comple of engines in my time ....... it makes a very ugly sound and stops dead in 0 time ..... it is a scary moment becouse from the sound and the locked up engine you think the whole inside is trashed ..... I have heard storys of bent rods from hydro lock but have never seen it or do I beleve that the starter spins fast enough to do that ....... and my engines always ran fine afterward ... on the fuel pump I have seen guys run the holley switch on the oil pressure to run the pump ( when you have pressure you have power ) and a momentery switch on the dash to prefuel or pressure check the system ........
   Good thing he's got the American made Manley rods.  It'll wad a stocker up, even a decent forged one.

Not Only Do We Offer A Complete Performance Parts Line But Also Have A Crate Engine Program Too!
caddycarlo
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 10:35:47 AM »

richard .... have you seen this happen from the starter or when it happen running  .....I have seen one engine hydrolock while running and it cost me three months of my life ....... but from a starter ? I just find it hard to picture

link to the oil pressure cutout

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_11636_-1

* holley safety switch 12-810.jpg (26.81 KB, 500x500 - viewed 359 times.)
POTTER
C3

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 11:37:14 AM »

Yes, I've seen stock engines bend rods with the starters. W/O a brace, it'll break the corner off a block too.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: