High Performance Big Block Cadillacs
November 22, 2017, 01:00:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to post pics.  (Read 16113 times)
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« on: November 30, 2007, 11:28:45 PM »

How to post pics.

The hardest part for me was trying to keep track of & find the pictures on my computer. What I ended up doing was to just create & keep a folder on my desktop for my pics. You can do that by placing your cursor on a blank area on your screen & using the right click button on your mouse. Right click & scroll down the drop down menu to “New” and then over to “Folder”. Once you left click on “Folder” you will now have a “New Folder” on your desktop. Now you need to name your folder. Once you’ve figured out what kind of catchy name you’re going to use, you will need to place your cursor below the folder on the area that says “New Folder”. Use the right click button again & scroll down to “Rename”. Now you can type in your new name. I typed AAA in front of the new name on mine. This will help later on.

O.K. Now we have our cool folder for our pics. I’m going to assume that you know how to get the pics off your camera & into your cool new folder. If your not sure how to do this. You can send me a PM & I’ll see if I can help you out.

So now we want to make a post with a few words & a pic or two. There are a few things you might have to do first. The pics must be no larger than 128 KB and sized to around 700 wide. I let the length adjust accordingly.

There are several ways to accomplish this. Three or four years ago I was told about a free program to resize & compress pics called: http://xat.com/io/index.html   or:  http://www.xat.com/ocx/index.html
That was what I learned to use. One of our members recently suggested using www.irfanview.net instead of XAT.

Now we have a pic that will fit. We will either be starting a new topic or replying to one and we have our panel open where we usually type. You have to put something in this field whether it’s words, an icon, an X or even a number. Just something. Next you will look towards the lower left corner & see where it says “Additional Options”. Left click on that & it will open up. If you look down you will see where it says “Attach:” Just to the right is a long white rectangle & a button labeled “Browse” You want to click on the Browse button. That will open a new panel usually in the top left of your screen. It should say “Choose File” at the top. Below that you should see where it says “Look In” & next to that another white rectangle with a drop down arrow at the end. Click on that arrow & look for your cool new folder. The triple A’s should place it fairly near the top. Once you’ve found your folder you will click on it. That will open it up & show you your pics. Select the pic you want & double click on it. Now your pic should be in the white rectangle between the word “Attach” and the button labeled “Browse”.

Now go to the bottom & hit either “Preview” or “Post”.

If your pic was sized correctly you should be done or ready to post another.

Once you’ve done it a time or two, it will go faster than reading this instruction. I hope I’ve explained it well enough that it is easy to understand & follow.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 01:07:42 PM by ~JM~ » Logged

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 11:31:07 PM »

Adding a picture to your post

1. Know where on your system the picture is
2. If you are unsure of its size go to it on your system and right click and go down to properties and click then look at its size it will need to be under 128k in order for you to post it. If it is bigger then that you will need to reduce it with some sort of photo program ……
3. Once you know its size and where it is go to the board and write your message
4. Once you are done with the message in the lower left hand corner it says Additional Options... click on that
5. Now at the bottom you have the attach box’s
6. To the right of the box it says browse
7. When you click on browse a new box will open
8. In that box is your systems files
9. Go to where ever your picture is
10. Double clicking on a folder in that box will open it
11. Once you find the picture double click on it and the box will close
12. Now if you look you have the address to your picture in the attach box
13. Now click post and you are done
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 09:55:12 AM by ~JM~ » Logged

~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 09:56:26 AM »

Hey guys... When you have the time. Would you please read the instructions above & let me know what you think about them. What should be changed, added, simplified, etc.

The goal is to make a sticky that will be easy to use.

Thank you
~JM~

ST Dog
C4

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 02:05:42 PM »

Add something about using out side hosting services like imageshack and photobucket with the IMG tags
(Like the pics I put in you Jeep thread).

Most of those sites will generate the whole line for you and do click-able thumbnails too.

But there are a few different ways of doing it, that varries with forum software, so the generated code may not work without some edits.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 09:37:04 AM by ST Dog » Logged

~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 02:27:40 PM »

I think I would prefer it if the forum software was used instead.

With the automatic thumbnails, I believe it will conserve bandwidth plus all the posts will be somewhat uniform. I'm still learning about this though, so I may be all wet. The board has a limit on the size of the pic it will accept when you upload the pic. Do you know if using an outside host overides this feature?

Thank you
~JM~
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 11:15:41 AM by ~JM~ » Logged

Jason
C1

The One & Only

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 04:14:53 PM »

when you use an outside source what ever size the pic is what it's gonna show up as....but when using a outside source you have the option of either posting it full size or just thumbnail size ,and when they click on it, it expands to the original size.

example: Fullsize

example: Thumbnail
ST Dog
C4

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 09:41:27 AM »

With the automatic thumbnails, I believe it will conserve bandwidth plus all the posts will be somewhat uniform. I'm still learning about this though, so I may be all wet.

External images shouldn't affect this site's bandwidth at all. The images are served from the external site, and affects their bandwidth.

caddycarlo
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 09:51:23 AM »

that's right ......... sometimes I am a little slow ........ when your computer hits a link it goes to that site and gets the info to bring back to your computer and display ...... so a link to an outside source would lower the bandwith of this site and raise it on the site with the picture ....... the draw back is that it the other site goes away so does the picture ....... I lost some at a photo site that went down years back ............ so I agree a source for pictures that is tied to the board would be best
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 12:12:58 PM »

Well now... That does make sense doesn't it.

So you guys want a picture gallery huh?

I suppose your right. It would be nice to have one.

I never really used one much so I didn't think it would be missed, but I've been wrong before. It's rare... but it has happened. Cheesy

Let me see what I can do. Might take me a week or two so hang in there.

Thanks
~JM~

~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 10:28:23 PM »

when you use an outside source what ever size the pic is what it's gonna show up as....but when using a outside source you have the option of either posting it full size or just thumbnail size ,and when they click on it, it expands to the original size.

Here is an example of what I don't like about using outside image hosting sites versus using the forums software to upload the pics.

The curse of the bloody 'Red Exes'!!!

It's a drag to read a post & then find all the pics have disappeared.  Sad Cry

~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 10:50:07 PM »

One of the not so obvious tricks I learned about taking pictures is, ALWAYS CHECK YOUR PERIMETER.

Most everyone focuses completely on the subject & pays little, to no attention, to the perimeter (or border) of the pic. That's where all the crap that can ruin your pic usually hides out. Things like a sloppy background, other peoples feet, trash, dirt, weeds, rags, etc.
Plus checking the perimeter not only helps to insure that your subject is fairly well centered, but also assures that none of your subject is accidentally cut-off.

Keep the pic simple & as uncluttered as you are able. Proper lighting, sharp focus & a clean perimeter, usually makes for a good shot. Now take several more pictures of the exact same thing. Sometimes a half step to the left, right, back, forward or even turning the camera upside down, will make all the difference between a simple pic & one hell of a shot.

Now that we no longer need to pay for film & the developing. We can take as many pics as we want until you get that 'One' that you're looking for.  Wink

ST Dog
C4

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 08:24:45 AM »

Here is an example of what I don't like about using outside image hosting sites versus using the forums software to upload the pics.

I agree that does suck. Hence my suggestion for a local gallery/album.

I've never understood why people delete accounts on the free hosting sites like that.

Even attachments have problems though. The user can delete them, the admin can delete them, even accidentally.
And, I've seen them removed on purpose to free up space on the server. SMF even has a way to automatically delete attachments that are older that a given age. (in the admin section, Attachments  & Avatars)

What hosting service are you using for this site?
I'll look and see what they offer for photo albums if you want.

~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 10:52:36 AM »

Check your PM's.  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: