High Performance Big Block Cadillacs
November 17, 2017, 05:45:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Check out this Fox body Mustang.  (Read 7163 times)
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« on: August 10, 2008, 01:53:41 PM »

Went to a car show yesterday & found this very interesting Mustang.

* 1.JPG (114.43 KB, 700x525 - viewed 344 times.)

* 2.JPG (123.52 KB, 700x525 - viewed 414 times.)

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 01:57:13 PM »

Real good looking car & very clean!

Even though it doesn't have a Cadillac engine in it...  I think you will still enjoy checking it out.

* 3.JPG (116.19 KB, 700x525 - viewed 375 times.)

* 4.JPG (122.92 KB, 700x525 - viewed 400 times.)

~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 02:06:06 PM »

I hung around for a while hoping the owner would show up so I could learn more about the car, but no luck.  Sad Wink

I'd like to know the displacement of the engine & what the donor vehicle was. As you can see, It's a broad shouldered engine & fills the engine bay side to side fairly well. Look at all the room leftover in the front though. Plenty of room for a turbocharger or two & the required plumbing to and from a charge cooler.  Shocked Cool

Does anyone know if this engine actually has hemispherical heads?

* 5.JPG (120.51 KB, 700x525 - viewed 339 times.)

* 6.JPG (121.11 KB, 700x933 - viewed 338 times.)

mt83
C3

I build go fast toys.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 07:53:22 AM »

John I can't speak for the owner but I can tell you the basics on that particular engine.  I'm a little bit of a Ford Guy.  It is a 96-97 cobra engine.  4.6 liter 281ci, between 87 and 97 the only thing that made it a cobra was a body package and an intake change.  That intake has butterflys inside it that are progressive and all kinds of stuff but they aren't that fast in a 96-97 car.  A buddy has one and it's a gut.  If you change the gear and upgrade the fuel system they really come alive though.

My project, as much as I am ashamed to say it, is an 89 lx mustang.  You got to crawl before you can walk.  It's getting a small block ford but it's going to be a B*d *SS small block.  Someday I will step up to the caddy though.

Matt @ Cadillac Performance Parts
www.cadillacperformanceparts.com
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 10:52:01 AM »

Matt,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if it was one of the small displacement 'mod' motors or something from a truck.

I used to consider myself as being fairly sharp on Ford information, but that was long ago, prior to the 302 having it's name changed.

Now I'm really curious about the motivation behind this swap. Why would someone remove what I will ass-u-me was originally a 302/5.0 engine & replace it with a smaller displacement engine?

Unless my comments about hairdryers & plumbing are actually in the plans. This area does have a fairly large turbo following, with several cars exceeding 150mph in the quarter & a few creeping towards that 200 mark.

Hmmm... I'll have to keep an eye out for this car & see if I can't learn more about it.

Hey Matt... Why are you ashamed to say that you're project is an 89 LX Mustang? Isn't that one of the best Fox body Mustangs to build? Small Block Ford's are one of my favorite engines. A well tuned 289 wound tight, is music to my ears! I have yet to hear another small block that sounds as sweet. Be proud that your even able to have a project at your age. I couldn't afford much of any project until the last year or two of my twenties & even then it wasn't much.

Even though this is primarily a Caddy engine board... Please feel free to discuss your project here any time you'd like.   Hell... They're only dumb air pumps, right?   They don't even know what brand name is on their valve covers.  Grin Wink

mt83
C3

I build go fast toys.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 11:57:03 AM »

I appreciate the encouragement.  It's not so much as i am ashamed but i am one of the cadillac vendors and didn't want anyone to think i doubt my product.  I love the caddy engine and will have one in a fox body someday, but as i said in another post you got to crawl before you walk.  I racing that is the best way to go.  It probably won't be like the one going in Jerry's 53 ford, (btw he's an old school ford guy) but never the less it will be an exciting build when i really get into it. 

The guy that did this swap was probably for nestalgia more than anything.  It's an easy swap and it makes the engine compartment in a fox body look fabulous.  Plus there are some many "hair dryer" options for the 4.6 that will make it wax a regular 302 plus being in a lighter car.  It just makes sense.  Hopefully he won't get past me though.

Just so you know.  My project is a 9.5:1, 331 stroker, Pro Action 215cc runner heads(iron), custom blower cam, Weiand 174 (12psi), 950 holley, and a built C-4.  Pearl white 89 lx hatch back.  I would like to see 600 hp out of it.  Sounds like a hell of a way to crawl huh?  I have all the specs and paper work i just need some money to put it all together.

~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 11:00:35 PM »

Just finished reading an article in the Oct. 08  Car Craft on building a Ford 331 Stroker.
496HP@7,400RPM  413Ft.Lbs.@5,600RPM  Cool

Sounds like you have a good plan for a strong runner.

mt83
C3

I build go fast toys.

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »

Where is that article I would like to read the specs on the engine and read about the build.  I bleed ford blue.

~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 11:48:53 PM »

Where is that article I would like to read the specs on the engine and read about the build.  I bleed ford blue.

October 08 issue of Car Craft magazine. I checked their site but the story isn't posted there yet.

The e-mail address that you have listed... Will it accept large e-mails? I will try to scan the article. If it scans well, I will send it to you.

mt83
C3

I build go fast toys.

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 08:12:06 AM »

Either way.  I will go to the newstand today and see if it's out here yet.  I'm always reading articles about engine combos and thing people try especially if they don't work.  Most people don't like to publish those though.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: