High Performance Big Block Cadillacs
November 20, 2017, 10:04:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: first caddy powered 4x4  (Read 4131 times)
midnitetrucker76
C1

« on: April 26, 2009, 03:33:10 AM »

this is my first caddy powered 4x4. its in a 78 blazer, six inch lift and 33's. I've got a 14 bolt and a 44 front with a rebuilt th350 and np205. this a very nice forum that i've already learned a great deal of knowleged from and would like to say thanks to  everyone on here  for sharing it.  Heres what i did for my engine mounts. i think there out of a 78 deville, but anyway there more like a chevy mount being that they have a cage that fits over a frame pad.  I got both the engine and frame pads along with the oil pan from donner car. then took the chevy frame pads and cross member out of blazer. i then mounted the frame pads from the caddy onto the brackets that the chevy pads were mounted to along with the cross member the brackets bolt to.  Next i installed my tranny and transfer case using the stock location so as not to have to get new driveshafts. I then installed motor and marked the new location of the engine mounts, removed the engine and installed mounts at new location farther foward of the old location. then i made a new crossmember to tie everything back together ( I used a extra transfer case crossmember i had laying around and added two small plates to it to bolt the frame pad brackets to.) It worked out real well and the frame even had matching holes for the crossmember already in it so it bolted right up. I found it alot easier to use these mounts than the stud style  i see frequently used. hope this helps some others. i dont have any pics to post yet but will try to get some soon.  My son and i will be starting on building him a solid axle cad powered s-10 soon for his senior project at school.
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 09:04:28 AM »

Hey Midnight,

Sounds like you built a real nice rig. Please post pics when you can, we like pics.
I've often thought the Blazer/Cadillac swap is a natural & would make a great 'froader.

Thanks
~JM~

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
midnitetrucker76
C1

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 12:02:42 PM »

Thanks JM

It's really not much to look at, between myself and a seventeen year old son and the fact that his school is only about five minutes from one of our local wheelin' spots it get played with and beat on pretty hard. Not to mention all the trips up to the mountains.  But this is the best engine I've had in a 4x4 by far. I'm a little nervous on the th350 holding up but i'll cross that bridge when it comes. I seen where someone on here adapted a tbi from a big block chevy, I hope to find out more about it. As i have a painless wiring harness for a tbi going to waste at this moment, that make my wheeler so much more beasty

ST Dog
C4

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 03:16:01 PM »

Those mounts are from a 425 or 368 powered car. (most 77-81 cars, a few year more in the commercial chassis)

The stud style mount was the norm for 472 and 500 equipped cars.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: