High Performance Big Block Cadillacs
November 20, 2017, 10:02:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 500 motor complete/ buildin a hot rod to put it in  (Read 7991 times)
fuzz
C2

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 07:27:02 PM »

St Dog...Thanks for the info and advice...

Thanks Dave..I bought pump gasket from MTS along with new pump shaft. I checked to see if the push rods were contacting the rocker body and it looks like they are not hitting, not even close. I'm using Comp 270H cam. Rocker assembly purchased from Maddog, they were unused but I don't know date of manufacture. I think they are the 1.70 rockers.

Live your life so the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral!!
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 09:39:50 AM »

Fuzz,

I've been told that the old rule of thumb on oil pressure is 10 pounds of pressure per 1000 RPM. I don't know for sure what the ideal base pressure at hot idle should be though.

I recall reading a post on the other board, way back when...  About placing a washer/spacer between the oil pump relief spring & the threaded plug that holds the spring in place to boost oil pressure. Unfortunately I can not recall who the author of the post was, or the results. I believe there was a certain thickness of washer/spacer that was discussed.

You might want to send a PM to Cadillac512 & see if this is something he recalls or recommends. If you decide to pursue this. Would you please let me know what you find out?

Thank you
~JM~

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:51:44 AM by ~JM~ » Logged

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
mt83
C3

I build go fast toys.

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »

I have been busy with both jobs and trying to get a house finished so I have missed the topic here and there.  The probe rockers tend to make more noise at the 2000-2500 rpm range from what I've seen.  I don't know if all the roller parts (tips and bearing) just have a possible harmonic issue at that rpm or what but it will almost sound like a loose rocker.  I don't use more than a half a turn on the pre-load for any of our engines with hyd. cams and these rockers.  If it quiets down at idle and doesn't continue to make noise in upper rpm range I would say it's the same noise you are hearing.

Matt @ Cadillac Performance Parts
www.cadillacperformanceparts.com
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: