High Performance Big Block Cadillacs
November 21, 2017, 03:03:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: El Camino 500 swap.  (Read 51323 times)
Mike P
C2

« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2010, 06:25:54 PM »

I got the bed liner done and the egine and transmission in on Thursday.  I've been mostly working on the underside of the car the last couple of days the driveshaft is in and the exhaust on. The little bit of time spent with the torch and hammer making a bit of extra room for the flanges also worked out really well.

Drivers side before and after

Passenger side before and after:

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the other things done on the bottom and get it back ion the ground.
steelybill
C3

« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2010, 12:28:10 PM »

Lookin' good Mike Smiley  Exhaust is a challenge for sure, which is sort of normal for a "different" engine swap.
  I've barely started on my exhaust system.

Mike P
C2

« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2010, 08:22:28 PM »

Yeah, the exhaust is not a real fun job especially when you're working with the car on stands and rolling around on a creeper.  I spent a full Sat and Sun setting it up when I went thru the mockup stage, and it still took about an hour to reinstall it and realign everything back where it needed to be.  

I should have my new shop up next year and a lift is definately on the list of things that are going into it (along with an exhaust pipe bender).

I got the El Camino back on the ground today (I had mounted and blanced the the new tires and wheels yesterday.....I'm really happy with the choice of wheels I made seeing them on the truck).

I'm hoping to get the hood back on tomorrow and maybe hear it run next weekend and get the cam broken in.
steelybill
C3

« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2010, 06:32:05 PM »

The wheels are just what I like!!  Maybe I'm too old school for some of the "modern" aluminum wheels!

Love the red color on there.  My Elco will be similar, Firethorn Red, same as the Malibu.

It will be great to get your Caddy fired up!!

Mike P
C2

« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2010, 04:13:05 AM »

Bill, I am VERY happy with my wheel choice too.  I think they really go well with the color. 

I spent a LOT of time looking over the different wheels that are out there and I've got to admit there is not a lot of the newer stuff that does much for me.  I pretty much narrowed it down to 3 choices, Torque Thrust Ds (the dark centered ones), Keystone Classics ot the Rally Wheels ( all in 15").  To me these just look "right" for the El Camino.
steelybill
C3

« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2010, 12:06:28 PM »

I always liked the Torque Thrust D models too. They look tough on any car. They have been around forever it seems.  Ran those on a drag car, a '55 Chevy, in the mid 60s.  That would be my second choice.

Mike P
C2

« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2010, 07:37:50 PM »

Well it runs and moves and I have been working on all the other things I need to do to get it on the road.  The engine sounds really good and fired up without any problems and runs right at 190 degrees (with a 190 thermostat).

I did have some issues with the power steering.  The gear that was in the El Camino didn't assist, so I replaced it with a rebuilt quick ratio one, but still had problems.

I eventually ended up putting the original fitting back in the PS pump, cut off the O ring fitting on the hose and ran a compression fitting to mate the hose to a compression fitting at the back of the pump.

I still think there was a problem with the steering gear I replaced, but I couldnít get the new gear to work with the compression fitting in the pump. The fittings looked the same, but changing it seemed to do the trick.

I'm down to the AC, Dash and wiring, so hopefully it will be on the road soon.
~JM~
Shop Keeper
C5

« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2010, 11:19:30 AM »

That's excellent Mike! First Fire is a huge "Mile Mark" in a build.  Cool

The rest sounds like it will tidy up quickly. Great news all around.

Thanks
~JM~

PS. You don't have enough cam. Grin

...Summit has a kit for $99.... Shocked
steelybill
C3

« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2010, 08:17:58 PM »

Nice goin' Mike Smiley  The power steering hose is one of my problems also, with things being tighter in there. The hose for the that vehicle wont  work etc.  More fun to come!  Sounds like your fun is just beginning!

Bill

MTS Marty
C4

« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2010, 08:40:36 AM »

My 2 cents
The compression fitting won't work. They are not recommended for the pressure of fuel injection let alone the 1000 PSI + for the pressure side of a P/S pump
Is the valve and spring installed behind the pressure fitting in the pump??
There are various fittings and the proper teflon lined hoses availabe for P/S to make what ever you need on the pressure side
dave brode
C5

Best of 11.66, 113.96, 1.59 sixty

« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2010, 02:01:36 PM »

Mike,

Your work looks very nice. Lots of time in nice details, I know.

Although I have used them in not so recent past, Ditto Marty on the compression fitting. If it leaks, maybe dig through specs in ps hose catalogs and find one with proper length and ends?

A hose shop can also change the ends if you have a hose that fits one end and has enough length to cut off and do a new end.

Dave

3960 lb '71 C-10. 11.7-1 CR 514". PEP I beam rods floating MTS 18cc dish Probes, Elgin solid cam, home ported heads, MTS 2.19/1.84", Potter/Probe shaft rockers, edel 2115, 4781 850. Switch-pitch TH400, 12" 1800/3200 Tri-Shield convertor, 4.30 gears. Best so far of 11.66, 114.8 mph and 1.59 sixty
Mike P
C2

« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »

Thanks for bringing up the fitting Marty and Dave, I'm rethinking the fitting.

I'll probably revisit that sometime next week.....right now I'm elbow deep in getting the wiring checked out an installed.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:52:58 PM by Mike P » Logged
dave brode
C5

Best of 11.66, 113.96, 1.59 sixty

« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2010, 04:21:02 PM »

Mike,

I used one on a 455 olds powered chev pu years ago, and it didn't leak. I'd hate to see you spray the nice underhood area on yours down though.

Dave

3960 lb '71 C-10. 11.7-1 CR 514". PEP I beam rods floating MTS 18cc dish Probes, Elgin solid cam, home ported heads, MTS 2.19/1.84", Potter/Probe shaft rockers, edel 2115, 4781 850. Switch-pitch TH400, 12" 1800/3200 Tri-Shield convertor, 4.30 gears. Best so far of 11.66, 114.8 mph and 1.59 sixty
Mike P
C2

« Reply #118 on: December 26, 2010, 01:00:26 PM »

Iíve mostly been sorting out wiring and plumbing the last couple of weeks.  Besides the factory wiring that came out of the Monte Carlo parts car I added factory wiring for the cruise control and delay wipers that were the 2 options the Monte didnít have.  I also built an additional harness to add the circuits I needed for the aftermarket AC, Tach, electric choke, additional idiot light, electric kickdown for the TH 400 and electric fuel pump.  Then there was the security system and stereo wiring. The factory wiring from the SB Monte could have stood to be a couple of inches longer to lay nicer around the passenger side valve cover, but I can live with it.  The biggest time eaters have been a couple of bad circuits in the factory harness I had to track down and Iím currently fighting a couple of non working gauges.   

As I got most of the electrical straightened out (still trying to get the oil pressure and gas gauge to work).  I decided to give myself a Christmas present yesterday and take the El Camino on its maiden test drive.

I made it about 1/2 mile taking it real easy just checking the way the trans sifted and listening for any strange noises etc, slowed down to turn a corner and there was a slight pop and a whining sound and it felt like the transmission went away.  You could feel it try to pull a very little bit in low and reverse (it would move the truck on level ground, but would not make even a slight grade.

I was able to get a hold of a friend of mine and we towed it back to the shop.  I was about ready to move it into the shop when my friend looked under it and told me the drive shaft was turning, but the wheels weren't!!!!!

I've blown up enough rear ends over the years to know the catastrophic sounds that normally accompany it and other than the whining there were no big bangs, grinding or other associated sounds.

On the bright at least I didnít pull the transmission out to find there was nothing the matter with it LOL.

Anyway I got the 3rd member out of the 9Ē and took the traction loc apart.  Other than the clutches being smoked I really didnít see any damage or problems, so my initial thoughts were at some point someone had put in an axel that was long enough to engage the clutch hub, but not too short to go into the side gear and that it probably worked ok with an open carrier but not the POSI (it was a hub to hub 59 Ford wagon rear so who knows what it had been thru in 40 years). It was the only explanation for it not acting like an open rear end and getting me home.

I discovered the real problem this morning when I went to assemble the 3rd member so I could start measuring the axels.  The guy who had put the traction loc together had used a 31 spline side gear instead of a 28 spline (basically all the power was being sent thru the clutches instead on the side gear).  Anyway I have a new side gear and new set of clutches coming so I can get it back together and try it again.
Mike P
C2

« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2011, 06:00:28 PM »

This post should pretty much wrap the swap thread up.  I ended up putting a new Track Loc (posi) carrier in itís a stronger 4 pinion unit (Iíve set aside the one that was in the El Camino for another project with a bit less motor).   I got the front end aligned today and can now start driving it (I put about 50 miles on it today).

Iíve done a lot of engine swaps over the years and the Cadillac into the G Body engine bay is a good fit but one of the more critical to get positioned exactly right......there seems to be one sweet spot and everything pretty much falls into place.  One of the things I really like is that once in everything is accessible to work on (the Cadillac will actually be easier to tune up than the small block it replaced).  The G Bodies also allow for an adequate size radiator to be installed which is often a problem area on many swaps. The transmission tunnel on the G Bodies is also large enough for an upgraded transmission like the TH 400 without any alterations.  Another nice thing about doing the G body is the amount of a upgrades that can be done by picking the right factory pieces from other G Bodies (F41 suspension, bracing, gauges etc).

I think the swap came out very well.  The engine feels very powerful and at the same time very well mannered (just like a stock Cadillac motor should be LOL).  There is no drive line vibration and although the suspension is a bit stiff, itís not uncomfortable by any means. The engine is running between 180-200 degrees (which is not bad at all considering Iím still in the process of breaking it in.  Oil pressure is about 35 pounds on a hot idle and it starts great whether itís 20 degrees  or hot starting after a drive.  While the engine is a bit heavier than the SB that came out of the truck it really doesnít feel any more nose heavy while driving than my wifeís mostly stock 84 El Camino.    

The hardest part right now is keeping my foot out of it until I get some more break in miles on it.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: